John Thompson, CEO of the Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors (APHC) looks at what plumbing and heating business owners can do to protect their businesses and generate customer confidence during the coronavirus pandemic.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has and continues to bring with it many challenges for plumbing and heating companies - even with the continued and gradual easing of lockdown.
It is clear that demand for new installations and larger projects is going to continue to be lower than before the pandemic due to sustained uncertainty. With fewer projects available to quote on, the market is becoming more competitive and consumers are being more selective and cautious when appointing trades people to work in their homes.
Installers and engineers need to understand what can be done to gain the confidence of customers and potential customers – and currently it’s about being a trusted and COVID-19 Secure business. The government has published guidance on creating COVID-Secure working environments, and this requires operational changes to be implemented. If businesses haven’t yet reviewed and implemented this guidance they need to do so.
Businesses then need to be proactive in making customers aware of their COVID-19 Secure processes and hygiene measures, and not simply assume that they will pick up on their measures. It is advisable to consider informing customers about your health and safety measures through:
- Creating a COVID-Secure webpage on your website and referencing your COVID-Secure status clearly on your website’s homepage
- Inserting information regarding your company’s COVID-Secure practices in the footer of your work email template
- Communicating your COVID-Secure processes on social media
- Developing a basic script which you or your employees can use to help verbally communicate your company’s procedures
- Displaying COVID-Secure stickers on company vehicles
- Producing a simple flyer which can be given to prospects and customers
- Including a COVID-Secure reference in all adverts and promotional materials
Further official government guidance on creating COVID-19 Secure working environments can be sourced at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
APHC has been providing members with technical support, business support, discounts, information, training and a voice since 1925. Being a member of APHC helps demonstrate your business is professional. For further information regarding the benefits of APHC membership please visit www.aphc.co.uk or contact APHC on 0121 711 5030 / email@example.com.